Wednesday, January 3

The first Ski of the year

The wondrous feeling returned, and after a year of absence, it was about time. As the swinging metal frame knocked the back of my knees, I sat down, thanked the assistant, though I’m not sure why, I picked it up from my sister when I started, it seemed like most of them appreciate it, so it stuck. As I sat there, swinging thirty-some feet up in the air with nothing to stop me rom falling, aside from the seemingly dangerous, but oddly secure hanging, metal, three-person chair, though only two of us enjoyed the feeling of first-class treatment with the extra space, I couldn’t help but wonder what appealed to me so. For since I went down that first hill, there’s been an irresistible force bringing me to the top of many more, and of course, the only thing to do is fly down them on my wing like skis..
As my skis touch the icy-white snow, I stand up, push off with my poles and gently glide down the small, man made hill, taking me out of harms way of the swinging chair. I glide over to the top of a few runs, take my pick, the only black diamond, and give myself a push. Soon, I put myself into auto-piolet and enjoy the ride. Slowly gaining speed, I set into my first turn. Executed nearly perfectly. Now the second, third, forth. Passing a slower skier, looks to be a young fellow, like myself, only not as experienced with the way the skis pull his body down, and around on the curves, well at same time, giving him the slight fleeing of his body being left behind, while his feet fly down to the bottom. Sixth turn now, a little shaky, due to the powder left by other carving skiers. Nearing the bottom, I tuck my poles tight into my armpits and let gravity do the rest. Now for the finish, I pull out and carve abruptly to the left, spraying snow at least six feet behind me, after turning 180°, I ease up and slide a good four or five feet backwards, right into my place at the chair-lift line, ready to do it all over again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey guess what, i look just like your picture right now cuz i'm wearing that same hat and a blue sweatshirt and it's FINALLY snowing!